Halloween is the perfect time to arrange a baking date with your kids. Take it away with eye-catching cupcakes and let edible blood be the icing on the cake.
Deadly delicious cupcakes
Chocolate eye / Only available in store
For the cake batter:
Approx. 200 g pumpkin
75 g sugar
75 g brown sugar
100 ml vegetable oil
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
120 g plain flour
For the frosting:
200 g icing sugar
100 g butter, softened
200 g cream cheese
1 tsp lemon juice
Red food colouring (or edible fake blood)
- 1. Remove the skin and seeds from the pumpkin and cut it into small pieces.
2. Boil the pumpkin pieces in hot water. Once the pumpkin is soft (after about 15-20 minutes), drain the water from the pan and mash the pumpkin with a fork.
3. In a clean bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until it becomes airy and white.
4. In a new bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and add the oil.
5. Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla mix to the dry ingredients.
6. Add the mashed pumpkin to the batter and stir.
7. Pour the batter into the cupcake moulds.
8. Bake the cupcakes for 11-15 minutes in a preheated oven at 175°C.
9. Beat the icing sugar together with the softened butter for approx. 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
10. Add the cream cheese and lemon juice and whip it all together.
11. Once the cupcakes have finished cooking and cooled down, it's time to add the frosting.
12. Now, you can opt to add some red food colouring to the frosting or try making some homemade fake blood. See our tutorial below.
13. Add the chocolate eye on top and serve.